Multiport Serial Boards...

Karl Denninger karl at ddsw1.MCS.COM
Mon May 7 01:13:07 AEST 1990

In article <407 at mtndew.UUCP> friedl at mtndew.UUCP (Steve Friedl) writes:
>I write:
>> Specialix boards are indeed very fast, but they don't do bidirectional
>> modem interlocking -- you're stuck with uugetty (ugh)
>
>Randy Suess writes:
>>  Whoa!  What is wrong with uugetty?  Do you mean with a
>>  particular ports card, or just in general?
>
>In general, uugetty sucks.  There are real problems with DTR
>contention between the incoming and outgoing devices, and I bet a
>donut that nobody out there actually has it working 100% right
>all of the time.  I have had a dozen people try to claim the
>donut, but *every time* it turned out that they had compromised
>on at least one area.

Want to lose a donut?

We're going to have a solution within the next couple of weeks.  uugetty
does stink, for a number of reasons, not the least of which is the lack of
an "issue" file.  We're working on a solution -- a REAL solution, and beating
on one well-known serial board vendor to make sure their drivers are
>exactly< right (they aren't right now, but they ARE close, which is why
they don't get the donut yet!).

--
Karl Denninger (karl at ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 708 808-7300], Voice: [+1 708 808-7200]