80386 cache and VGA

Bill Campbell campbell at Thalatta.COM
Thu May 31 10:07:47 AEST 1990

In article <8415 at cognos.UUCP> dbullis at cognos.UUCP (Dave Bullis) writes:
:>In article <8343 at cognos.UUCP> dbullis at cognos.UUCP (Dave Bullis) writes:
:>>I was told by one the local clone dealers that there are problems
:>>with mixing 80386 25MHz cache systems and VGA cards.
:>> ...
:>
:>I talked to the dealer again for more details:  He says that some 8-bit
:>VGA cards caused the system to hang when booting.  16-bit cards are ok.
:>
I had exactly the opposite problem with a 33Mhz NIC Motherboard,
32K cache.  It wouldn't writefloppy disks properly when using a
16-bit Paradise board, but running with the board in an 8-bit
slot or substituting an 8-bit board cured the problem.  This
problem has also been reported on the HP-Vectra.  The article on
the Vectra implied that the problem was with any O/S running in
the 386 protected mode.

--
....microsoft--\                    Bill Campbell; Celestial Software
...uw-entropy----!thebes!camco!bill 6641 East Mercer Way