B&W X grapphics subsystems

rb duc root at grumbly.UUCP
Fri May 4 03:54:19 AEST 1990

In article <900 at sixhub.UUCP> davidsen at sixhub.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
->In article <60 at grumbly.UUCP> root at grumbly.UUCP (rb duc) writes:
->
->|  I'm kind of suprised that a net moderator would try to stifle discussion
->| with intimidating posts like this one.  It doesn't bother me much, but
->| it well might keep some people from posting.  Do you really think these
->| postings will have any effect on SCO's ( or any other vendors ) business?

->  I don't see anything intimidating about my thinking you have an
->emotional attachment to the issue, nor that I state doubt that SCO will
->benefit from it.

> From <899 at sixhub.UUCP> - bill davidsen
> moderator of comp.binaries.ibm.pc and 80386 mailing list
>      quoted from previous post
> " I think that this person is what you would call a "groupie" for SCO.
> He is infatuated with their wonderfullness and wants us all to share it.
> I can't believe that SCO would be crazy enough to allow anyone
> associated with them to do this, even from a personally owned machine. I
> am suprised that they have not taken an official position against this,
> since it draws bad publicity for them and seems to gain them no benifits."

Well, now that I look it over again, it isn't that intimidating.  It does
contain distortions, however, and once again infers that I am associated with
SCO or am acting on their behest. This has been denied repeatedly and is
what bothered me about the post.  You have a position of responsibility -
a Congressman is still a Congressman, whether he is calling from his office
phone or his home phone.  Some of the posts I've seen could be a bit daunting,
though I wouldn't put yours in that group.

->  I know very well that postings affect sales. I have gotten mail over
->the years saying that good or bad points I had mentioned had caused them
->to make or change a decision.

Yes, postings of a factual, technical nature might very well affect sales.

->  I have seen no evidence that you contribute anything to other groups,
->and the volume of your indignant postings certainly doesn't leave much
->time for other things. Look at the people who have been trying to
->clarify the reasons why we don't need another group. There are a number
->of people who are contributors (not just posters) in other groups,
->moderators, members of standards groups, and contributors to source and
->binary groups.

Well we probably have different interests and different sys files.  I'm
sure there are fine people on both sides.

->  People are not disagreeing with you because you are being unconvincing
->and repitious, they are disagreeing with you because they think you're
->WRONG. Stop taking it so personally.

I have been repetitious because people keep making the same false statements
[see paragraph 4 above]  and I do take someone calling me a jerk somewhat
personally.

sincerely,
rbduc

--
 - -   Richard Ducoty                               ..uunet!grumbly!root
 _]    Capitola, Calif                                root at grumbly.com