Northgate computer

Bradley L. Richards bradley at cs.utexas.edu
Thu May 3 06:02:43 AEST 1990

In article <5412 at cbnewsl.ATT.COM> wag1 at cbnewsl.ATT.COM (d.wagley) writes:
>In article <511616 at nstar.UUCP>, larry at nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) writes:
>> In article <295 at iczer-1.UUCP>, emm at iczer-1.UUCP (Edward M. Markowski) writes:
>> >
>> > Is Northgate a good company to do business with?
>>
>> For the record, we have purchased several Northgate machines, and rank them
>> as expensive (as compared to what you could get from other vendors, with
>> "fair" support).
>
>I have several friends who have purchased this configuration from
>Northgate and are very happy. I thought that the price was very good
>given that the machine seems to be built pretty solid. A lot of the
>cheaper systems I've looked at were flimsy.
>
>Does Larry or anybody else have suggestions on where to go for a better
>value in a similar configuration?

In a word:  Gateway.  I was looking around for a 386 system last fall.
After many weeks of shopping I narrowed the choices to Northgate (slightly
better quality system, but more expensive) and Gateway (which uses all
nme-brand parts, but lacks some of the polish).  Feeling poor, I decided on
the Gateway.  I had a couple of infant mortality failures, but their support
has been outstanding (new motherboard overnight, no questions asked).  But
I did tell Gateway to keep their keyboard and ordered one from Northgate--
for my money Northgate keyboards can't be beat.

You can't go wrong with either company.