UUCP over ethernet

John Ioannidis ji at close.columbia.edu
Wed May 2 14:47:58 AEST 1990

In article <70400005 at m.cs.uiuc.edu> carroll at m.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>I would like to have a local UUCP net running between my two machines over
>ethernet. I have 3Com cards in the machines, and the normal network stuff
>(rlogin, rcp, NFS, etc.) all work fine. What I need to know is how to tell
>UUCP about it. The main sticking points have been

It doesn't really make sense to run UUCP over ethernet. Why not use
ftp or rcp (or just NFS) to transfer files, and sendmail for mail?

>1) the device name (/dev ip, tcp, ni ?)
>2) the network "address" (A.B.C.D, full host name, subnet id ?)

irrelevant. The IP namespace has nothing to do with the filesystem namespace

>3) What is NLS (Network Listener Service)? Should I specify it?

I thought it was National Language Support!

>Any information or manual pointers would be great. I've looked through the
>SysAdmin guide, and the TCP/IP guide without much luck. Thanks!

Of course not! You are not supposed to do uucp that way. ANyway, if you
insist, the easiest way to do it is write a small program that opens
a tty/pty pair and 'attaches' the master end to a telnet to the
target machine. Your local uucp can then access the slave part of the
tty/pty pair (/dev/ttyp?) and use it as if it were a normal tty. if all goes
well, when you connect your local uucp process to the pseudo tty, it will
see the login: prompt of the remote machine. It can then proceed to log
on as uucp etc.

I'm still not sure why you want to do that. Trying to exploit uucp
security holes again? :-) :-) :-)

/ji

In-Real-Life: John "Heldenprogrammer" Ioannidis
E-Mail-To: ji at cs.columbia.edu
V-Mail-To: +1 212 854 5510
P-Mail-To: 450 Computer Science \n Columbia University \n New York, NY 10027