Equinox and Continental Computer

Karl Denninger karl at ddsw1.MCS.COM
Mon May 7 01:10:17 AEST 1990

In article <1159 at crpmks.UUCP> garyb at crpmks.UUCP (Gary Blumenstein) writes:
>While Continental Computer Systems is in fact a distributor limited to servicing
>dealers and some fortune 500 accounts, they are not beyond helping out or
>providing information to the average end user.  This isn't just another
>fly-by-night "schlok house".  Read on...

Correct.

>Where other distributors are mainly concerned with moving inventory, Continental
>cradles their accounts with the best technical support in the business.  Very
>few other distributors *really* understand the ins and outs of assembling
>UNIX/Xenix systems around multi-vendor platforms.

>Continental Computer Systems fills this category of badly needed dealer
>service.  I would highly recommend them to the various ISC and SCO dealers
>and VARS on this net, esspecially if you're on the east coast.

Seconded here, but the heck to the east coast.

We get our Equinox product from them; they are FANTASTIC.  No, they don't
sell direct to end users.  There's a reason for that -- they want their
DEALERS to be able to make a buck too, and undercutting your dealers is a
good way to go out of business FAST.

I would have to put CCS in the top 1% of all distributors of computer
products; they haven't let us down yet.  Their handling of product and
problems is consistantly first-rate.

Distributors like that are one reason we are able to offer the high quality
and top-notch service that makes our business survival possible.  Believe
me, when it's 4:30PM, you have a dead board in the field, and no stock in
your warehouse, these things are mighty important.

Now, what the dealer(s) do once they have the product is up to them.  We
use our vendors as a source of information and assistance when we need an
interface with a manufacturer -- which is why there ARE distributors.  Too
many in that business lose sight of that fact, and want only to push as much
product as possible.  Those companies cause us no end of trouble, and as
soon as we discover their intentions they are no longer vendors.....

If you want a dealer in your area, CCS will refer you to one without trouble.

On the other hand, we're happy to sell to end users (it's our job as a dealer).

Note:  We're just a dealer, and don't "work for" CCS either :-)

--
Karl Denninger (karl at ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 708 808-7300], Voice: [+1 708 808-7200]