Xenix emulation under Uni (was Re: Using GCC/GAS Xenix on AT&T Unix V/386.3.2

Michael Richardson michael at fts1.uucp
Fri May 4 02:37:49 AEST 1990

In article <2413 at crash.cts.com> jca at pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) writes:
>dlucy at tropez.UUCP (Doug Lucy) writes:
>>I'm using GNU's gcc 1.37.1 and gas 1.35 patched and compiled for
..
>>Is this going to work? Where can I find libraries to do this?
>>Must I buy the DS for Unix?

>It should work since SCO Unix is binary compatable with SCO Xenix.  Just don't
>expect the demand paging to kick in on Xenix processes.  I believe you need a
>smarter linker such as the one for the SCO Unix Development System to have the
>demand paging work at all.

  (I have little experience with SCO Unix, we tend to like ISC here.)

  I can't see this being the case. If SCO Unix does the Xenix emulation
in ANY way simular to the way that ISC does it then the Xenix process should be demand
paged just like any other process. Perhaps not from the binary, but certainly from swap.
(Or was that the point?)

  My understanding is that the kernel loads up  /etc/...  <escape
to  shell  ---  I  though  I saw something about an i286 emulator
somewhere. I can't... Oh, yes. /bin/i286emul.> The kernel loads up /bin/i286emul
which arranges through some special services to trap and emulate the Xenix kernel calls,
and /bin/i286emul then loads (mmap would be nice :-) up the Xenix binary and starts
it up.

p.s. Followups to comp.unix.i386 because this doesn't really have much to do
with Xenix, and gnu.* removed because it isn't relevant to this part.
p.p.s: And I wouldn't have seen this had it been posted to comp.unix.sco.

--

   :!mcr!:               | Tellement de lettres, si peu de temps.
   Michael Richardson    |  If Meech passes, no one will understand that.