mkfs gap option

Gerry Gleason gerry at zds-ux.UUCP
Wed May 2 05:49:27 AEST 1990

In article <PCG.90Apr30215541 at odin.cs.aber.ac.uk> pcg at cs.aber.ac.uk (Piercarlo Grandi) writes:
>In article <511632 at nstar.UUCP> larry at nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) writes:
>   I assume that this 6-8 sectors is based on operating systems which
>   don't have (or are using) a fast file system..

>Not really. The so called "fast file systems" work by *keeping* the free
>list sorted by block location (usually with a bitmap), not by block free
>time like the V7/SysV one.

I think you have missed the real point of FFS.  By keeping the free list
as a bit array ordered by disk location, you can allocate groups of
blocks at a time in contiguous locations.  The big win is then in reading
sequentially, multiple blocks of a file can be read with a single read
operation (of course the same can apply to writes).  Due to this behavior,
the gap variable becomes almost if not completely meaningless.

Gerry Gleason