the wonders of SCSI

Gregory G. Woodbury ggw at wolves.uucp
Thu May 31 09:26:51 AEST 1990

gsteckel at diag2.East.Sun.COM (Geoff Steckel - Sun BOS Software) writes:
>>ggw at wolves.UUCP (Gregory G. Woodbury) writes:
>>>
>>>	mount: /dev/dsk/c1d0s0 no such device
>
>What partitions do you have set up?  What does /etc/partitions say about your
>drive?  What does "/etc/mkpart -t vp" say?

	That was the weirdness that was throwing me.  mkpart kept giving
strange answers.  Then I tried it again (when fully awake!) and it
finally worked!

>If you have no entries in your /etc/partitions for the new drive, try
>copying the entries for an existing disk, decode them with the /etc/mkpart
>documentation, edit them to match your real disk, and make a vtoc with
>/etc/mkpart.  Also label the volume (and I've forgotten the name of the
>utility... /etc/dlabel?)

	final effective sequence:

	1.  /etc/diskconfig on /dev/dsk/c1d0p0 to get basic geometry
		(be careful - some of the /etc/disk* commands will trash
		/etc/partitions - make a backup!)

	2.  run fdisk /dev/dsk/c1d0p0 and make unix partitions
	3.  put the basic disk "stanza" in /etc/partitions
	4.  run mkpart -i diskNN to create initial vtoc
	5.  backup /etc/partitions and run /etc/disksetup
		this will fail! but partition stanzas will be placed in
		/etc/partitions for your selected configuration.
	6.  check /etc/partitions to make sure it isn't corrupted (you
		did make that backup didn't you?) and add the new
		stanzas for the device to the /etc/partitions file.
		Probably need to change names from *x to *NN.
	7.  mkpart -P partition-name diskNN
		this is for each of the partitions you configured.
	8.  now that the partitions are on the drive (verify with mkpart
		-t pv diskNN) note the partition numbers.
	9.  mkfsys /dev/rdsk/c1d0s<part#> ....
		this is where the real file system is made.
		If you are doing this on a drive that needs remapping,
		do a mkpart -v diskNN to perform a surface analysis and
		populate the alternates table.
	10. labelit /dev/dsk/c1d#s# fsname volname
		optional, but highly desireable step, keeps mount from
		complaining about mouting <> on /whatever.  The fsname
		should be the last component of the path that the
		section will be mounted on.
	11. mount /dev/dsk/c1d#s# /path/name
	12. cd /path/name and hand build a lost+found directory!
		try to make the lost+found directory inode 3, then cd to
		the new lost+found and create a WHOLE LOT of empty
		files.  This is to make the lost+found directory itself
		of a large enough size to be usefull in the case of a
		crash.  rm all the files just made ;-)
	13. edit /etc/fstab to add the new device and its mount point.

	VOILA!

	This is quite similar to the perigrinations that most normal
	unixes go thru in making a new drive, but the specifics of
	making partitions and slices and whatever are a bit different
	from the ole pdp-11 and vax stuff I used to do, and the Opus
	stuff I also do.

	This is for ISC 2.0.2, it is also similar to what a friend went
	thru for adding a big scsi to ESIX.  (Of course, he get back in
	town AFTER I get this mess worked out ;-)

	Note, that when mounting a 300MB scsi partition on ISC, it will
	take a few minutes for the system to read the free list into
	memory!  It also chews up some of the available memory for the
	system.

>I don't thing you want to mount /dev/dsk/c1d0s0...
> slice 's0' is not (according
>to TFM) normally a mountable slice.  If you have only mountable one slice,
>/dev/dsk/c1d0s1 is the likeliest name.  You should have done mkfs on
>/dev/rds/c1d0s[134...], depending on which partitions are defined in
>/etc/partitions.
>
>If you have defined more than one slice using the default utilities, you will
>probably have `c1d0s1', `c1d0s3', and `c1d0s4' as mountable partitions.

	As your note pointed out (in a deleted section) the "default"
	utilities are very buggy.  Using them, I managed to wipe out
	/etc/partitions and almost lost my root drive vtoc!  Thanks to
	Larry Jones for the info on mkpart that saved me.
--
Gregory G. Woodbury @ The Wolves Den UNIX, Durham NC
UUCP: ...dukcds!wolves!ggw   ...mcnc!wolves!ggw           [use the maps!]
Domain: ggw at cds.duke.edu     ggw%wolves at mcnc.mcnc.org
[The line eater is a boojum snark! ]           <standard disclaimers apply>