IRQ conflict on SCO Open Desktop

Colonel Panic aland at infmx.UUCP
Wed May 30 11:13:35 AEST 1990

In article <1990May27.183959.18120 at ddsw1.MCS.COM> karl at mcs.MCS.COM (Karl Denninger) writes:
>>| Yes.  The standard configuration for network cards used internally
>>| with TCP/IP (3c501s, 3c503s, WD8003s) is IRQ2.
>>Right on! This buys you one more interrupt than many of the other UNIX
>>versions support.
>
>Not really.  ISC will work with IRQ2.
>Both ISC and SCO Unix require that you call it something else though.

AT&T SVR3.2.2 also handles IRQ2 fine.  Under UNIX, of course, it's
addressed by the drivers as IRQ9.  Apparently, there is something more
to handling this properly beyond just setting the IRQ in the asy entry
to "9", however.  I was trying to use IRQ2/9 for my network card with
WIN/TCP for 386 STREAMS v3.0, and even with changing the asy
references to "9", it still failed miserably.  After updating from 3.0
to 3.1, it worked fine -- the install routine would accept "2" as a
valid interrupt number, and it was converted to 9 automatically.

This is using 3C503's and WD8003E's on AT&T 6386E/33 machines.

--
Alan Denney  @  Informix Software, Inc.          "We're homeward bound
aland at informix.com  {pyramid|uunet}!infmx!aland   ('tis a damn fine sound!)