Parallel Printers - HOW TO DO IT

mark hilliard mark at gizzmo.UUCP
Fri May 4 08:37:53 AEST 1990

In article <1990May3.194801.12463 at clark.uucp> ade at clark.uucp (Adrian Miranda) writes:
>In article <708 at bilver.UUCP> bill at bilver.UUCP (Bill Vermillion) writes:
>>>
>>>Since I don't have that directory, I assume you are referencing
>>>/usr/spool/lp/model/<printer name> - where in my case it is dumb.
>>That IS strange.  You really should have in interface directory there.

NO !!!!
/usr/spool/lp/model is where the interface files are stored, but the
actual interface directory is in /usr/spool/lp/admins/lp/interfaces.
There you will find the (after you have the lp up and running) interface
file.  It is this interface file that you should modify to suite your
needs.  Here is how you get the lp service running:

as root:

type:

/usr/lib/lpshut
/usr/lib/lpadmin -p name_of_your_printer_service -v /dev/lp? -m model
			     |                         |         |
the name you want your printer                         |         |
called. ie  lp -dname                                  |         |
						       |         |
the entry in /dev that interfaces to your printer -----          |
BE CAREFUL, lp, lp0, lp1 ... do not always go where              |
you think.  It is a function of the sdevice file in              |
in /etc/conf/sdevice.d/lp as to which IRQ and I/O gets           |
assigned to lp0-3.  You can always try to cat to                 |
/dev/lp? to test it like this:  cat file > /dev/lp?              |
IF YOUR IRQ AND I/O ARE MIS-MATCHED BETWEEN YOUR                 |
sdevice FILE AND THE ACTUAL HARDWARE SETUP, YOU PRINTER          |
WILL WORK VERY-VERY-VERY SLOW.                                   |

this is the model that you choose in /usr/spool/lp/model----------

continue to type:
/usr/lib/lpsched
lpstat -r                           (to make sure the sched is running)
/usr/lib/accept name_of_your_printer_service
enable name_of_your_printer_service

Now, the lp system should be working.

Another problem, the model interface usually has a bug in it as shipped from
Interactive, that is it uses a line with "cat >", if your printer
barfs with this, just change "cat" to "lef", and it should take care of things.

Good Printing,

Mark Hilliard
N2HHR
rutgers!rochester!kodak!gizzmo!mark