Norton Utilities

John R. Levine johnl at esegue.segue.boston.ma.us
Fri May 25 13:27:11 AEST 1990

In article <1990May24.224704.7557 at smcnet.smc.edu> byoder at smcnet.smc.edu (Brian Yoder) writes:
>Clearly the Disk Explorer is a guru only tool (that's BRAVE guru only).

Not so fast, I didn't write it just for brave gurus.  The disk explorer has
a read-only mode (it's the default, in fact) which is quite handy for looking
around the disk to understand better how the partition tables, superblocks,
inodes, and other disk structures are laid out and relate to each other.  It
is an excellent way to learn about the mysteries of the Unix file system
without having to destroy a disk in the process.

It is also quite usable on plain old files, in which case it is a nice
screen oriented binary editor, something Unix has lacked for a long time.

Like any good tool, each of the Norton programs has uses that are not
immediately obvious and that neither we nor our users have thought of yet.

--
John R. Levine, Segue Software, POB 349, Cambridge MA 02238, +1 617 864 9650
johnl at esegue.segue.boston.ma.us, {ima|lotus|spdcc}!esegue!johnl