Sendmail + Sites with names in uppercase = Argh!

Leslie Mikesell les at chinet.chi.il.us
Sun May 27 14:37:46 AEST 1990

In article <1893 at zap.UUCP> fortin at zap.UUCP (Denis Fortin) writes:
>	I am running ix/386 v.2.0.2, and I have a couple of uucp
>neighbours which have UPPERCASE characters in their machine names.  This
>causes a problem with sendmail because on a "mail user at SITE.uucp", it

>	Before I start thinking of big ugly patches, could someone suggest
>a way of telling HDB that SITE and site and functionally equivalent machines?
>(I don't have the full documentation for the "Permissions" file)

I've only used smail - won't sendmail do a case-insensitive match in the
pathalias data, then substitute the literal path, uppercase and all?

HDB uucp can lie about the site name but it would have to be done at the
remote machine.  Their Permissions file can have something like:

LOGNAME=yourlogin MACHINE=yourmachine MYNAME=lowername
  along with the other desired options.

Note that "yourlogin" should be unique unless they want to do this for
everyone.  The LOGNAME field is used to locate the Permissions file
entry when you call them.  The MACHINE field is used when they call
you.

Les Mikesell
  les at chinet.chi.il.us