Installing FAS under ESIX rev C

Terry Conklin conklin at frith.uucp
Fri May 4 19:07:23 AEST 1990

()

OS: ESIX Sys V.3.2, rev C w/all the goodies
MACHINE: Joe Clone '386-20, w/2 industry standard
         2 serial/1 paralllel/1 game (disconnected) cards
PLAN: Get 4 indialing ports via basically standard
      COM1, COM2, COM3 and COM4 ports
GRIEF: Lack of ints, naturally.
       Current layout is:
       COM3 -> irq 4, COM4 -> irq3, COM1 & COM2 -> irq 5
CAUSE OF GRIEF: the shared int

Being a Sun/Berkley type, ESIX has been a "fun" learning
experience. As I understand it:

A) ESIX won't touch a shared int (this I -know-)
B) FAS's morally superior drivers will
C) -Some- ESIX owner(s) out there somewhere are running
   FAS, according to ESIX tech support.

I dug through all the device driver stuff for 7 hours now, and
am a little tired. FAS's installation has 0 support for
ESIX, coming with a makefile for Interactive and Microport.
However, the Interactive files clearly map almost -exactly-
to the ESIX Installable Drivers layout (ESIX's theoretically
drastically improved user-level device driver install package.
Hey, I'll vouch for it. I can type "installpkg" and duck as
well as anyone.)

idbuild (That's Installble Driverland Build Kernel, for people
without user-level driver muck) has an interesting feature
though when you run it with the FAS stuff in place. It wanders
into deep space. No errors. No messages. No crash. NoTHING.
Even running 'w' from another user shows -csh. Swell.

If anyone here has run FAS (or whatever it takes) to get
shared IRQ's for COM ports under ESIX's latest and greatest.
Please send me a line and clue me in.

Terry Conklin
conklin at egr.msu.edu
uunet!frith!conklin