Adaptec 154xB SCSI host adapter (was: Re: WD SCSI Controller)

Chip Rosenthal chip at chinacat.Unicom.COM
Mon May 7 06:52:39 AEST 1990

[ comp.sys.ibm.pc dropped from newsgroups line, followups to comp.unix.i386 ]

pim at cti-software.nl (Pim Zandbergen) writes:
>New Adaptec 154xB ? Could anybody shed some light over this?
>What is different from the A model? How compatible is it?

I talked to Adaptec sales just last week about this.  Apparently the B is
functionally identical to the A.  It sounds like they did some integration
(maybe an ASIC or two), and thus reduced the size from full-card to 3/4-card.

In other words, it sounds like it was merely a manufacturing cost reduction
project.  Of course, that's good for us because it probably means a power
consumption reduction.

I've never run their boards before, so I'm not aware of any warts or
problems which should have been addressed in a B.  I just ordered one,
and will be installing it with SCO ODT.  If anybody is interested in how
it works, drop me a line in about two weeks and I'll let you know.

--
Chip Rosenthal                            |  You aren't some icon carved out
chip at chinacat.Unicom.COM                  |  of soap, sent down here to clean