hardware costs, again...

Kaleb Keithley kaleb at mars.jpl.nasa.gov
Sat May 26 01:35:24 AEST 1990

In article <35O3P93 at xds13.ferranti.com> peter at ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
-In article <5623 at seac.UUCP> wain at seac.UUCP (Wain Dobson) writes:
-- I'm getting the feeling that I am spoiled brat as to hardware. Just what
-- is everyone running out there? It would seem that a bare bones UNIX
-- machine, for personal use only, could be:
-
-- 	(1) 386SX
-- 	(2) 4 Megs of memory
-- 	(3) Mouse
-- 	(4) Monochrome Card
-- 	(5) Monochrome Monitor
-- 	(6) 80 Meg drive
-- 	(7) ESDI/SCSI
-
-Less than that... what would be using the mouse for? you're not running
-X in that configuration.
-
-Anyone feel like running up a price on this thing? Sounds like something
-for the frequently asked questions file: "What's the cheapest way to get
-into UNIX on the 80386?".

Based on prices I just saw at a recent computer swap meet:

 	(1) 386SX
               16mhz SX m'board w/ 0k RAM       US$300.00
                        (or)
               16/20mhz SX m'board w/ 0k RAM       350.00
               Baby AT case                         50.00
               200w P/S                             50.00
               101 key tactile keyboard             75.00 *
 	(2) 4 Megs of memory
              70ns SIMM @ 66.00/megabyte           264.00
 	(3) Mouse
              Logitech Hirez Bus Mouse              75.00
 	(4) Monochrome Card
              Taiwan clone VGA (Paradise)          135.00
 	(5) Monochrome Monitor
              Page White VGA mono                  125.00
 	(6) 80 Meg drive                           500.00 *
 	(7) ESDI/SCSI                              350.00 *
                                                 --------
                                                  1924.00 or
                                       subtotal   1974.00
                                                 --------
        (8) ESIX SysV.3.2.D 1-2 User w/
            TCP/IP +
            X Windows +
            Software development + lots more       560.00 (list?)
                                                 --------
                                                  2534.00

* Don't really know, just guessing.  All prices are approximate, except
the SIMMs, which is what *I* went to buy.

I highly recommend spending the extra bucks and getting the VGA card and
using a mono VGA monitor; mono VGA monitors only being about $10.00 more
than Herc' mono monitors.  Then if you want a color monitor later, you'll
already have the adapter.  Plus, ESIX X Windows works just fine on the
mono monitor.

Note: I'm not advertising/selling anything.  I post these prices for their
information content only.  If you want to buy ESIX, call information in the
415 area code to find "the distributor near you."

kaleb at thyme.jpl.nasa.gov            Jet Propeller Labs
Kaleb Keithley