Unix/386 lint -- how good?

Chip Salzenberg chip at tct.uucp
Wed May 30 04:55:24 AEST 1990

I am currrently a user of SCO Xenix/386.  However, I expect that I
will soon be moving to SCO Unix or perhaps another brand of Unix/386.

The C safety-check program "lint" that is part of the Xenix/386
development system is, well, poor.  It gets confused about structure
definitions, it doesn't understand function prototypes (!), etc.

I've gotten info on Gimpel's portable lint ("FlexeLint").  It has
everything including the kitchen sink, but it will set me back $800,
and I'd hate to spend that much money if Unix/386 has a decent lint.

So, my question: How good is the lint provided with modern versions of
Unix/386?  Specifically, can it deal with prototypes?  Please send
E-Mail or post a followup article, as you feel appropriate.
--
Chip Salzenberg at ComDev/TCT   <chip%tct at ateng.com>, <uunet!ateng!tct!chip>