hardware costs, again...

Terry Hull terry at eesun1.eece.ksu.edu
Tue May 29 05:35:06 AEST 1990

shwake at raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) writes:

>In article <136279 at sun.Eng.Sun.COM> plocher at Eng.Sun.COM (John Plocher) writes:
>>To put it in perspective, (Yes, I know this sounds like a plug), the new Sun SLC
>>	$4k - $6k (And NO FAN noise!!!)

>According to UnixWorld's recent overview of the SLC, it requires a Sparc
>Server or other NFS-supporting server. Absent that server, just what can
>you do with the SLC, quiet though it be.

You can add a disk/tape subassembly and speed by all your colleagues
that are using their '386 boxes.  I admit when you add the disk, the
fan noise is back.  ;-(.

Remember, for that price you get BSD UNIX (yea!!) , development
system, TCP/IP, NFS, and SunView for free.  You can then use X11R4 on
it as well for no additional charge.  How much does the UNIX run-time,
development system, TCP/IP run-time and development system, NFS and
X11 add to the price of a '386 machine?

--
Terry Hull
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Kansas State University