DOS under UNIX (tm)

Guy Helmer ghelmer at dsuvax.uucp
Wed May 2 00:07:43 AEST 1990

In article <4567 at uceng.UC.EDU>, dmocsny at minerva.che.uc.edu (Daniel Mocsny) writes:
> In article <5614 at seac.UUCP> wain at seac.UUCP (Wain Dobson) writes:
> >In article <1136 at unix386.Convergent.COM> markb at unix386.Convergent.COM (Mark Beyer) writes:
> >>I used to snicker at [DOS emulation], too.  Until I realized that it sells
> >>a lot of machines.
> >[...]
> [...]
> DOS emulation under UNIX is a quite reasonable way to assist users in
> migrating to a real operating system. If the UNIX vendors can do DOS
> better than DOS, then they can increase the size of their market by a
> factor of at least 10. Then users can naturally discover the benefits
> of the UNIX system they happen to be using, as the size of the installed
> base attracts UNIX ports of all the world-class applications.

Given a 20Mhz 80386 box with 8Mb RAM and 150Mb disk on an ESDI
controller, how many users using VP/IX have people seen a box like
this support under what kind of loads?

--
-*-     Please note the _new_ uucp path, if that is what you use     -*-
Guy Helmer                             ...!bigtex!loft386!dsuvax!ghelmer