Interactive Crashes BIG TIMES

Robert Lin rlin at cs.ubc.ca
Sat Sep 1 06:02:00 AEST 1990

It must be my bad karma. My Interactive 386/ix, version 2.0 (yes I know it's
old) crashed so bad that it wiped out the entire /usr file system, due to
a rude message of something like:

*** DEVICE ERROR: Fatal unrecoverable error reading sector 800334

All that happened was my X-windows server froze up, forcing me to reboot
without proper shut down. Never thought it could destory the entire /usr
file system.

Having just installed the entire system yesterday, installing over 50 disks,
this really got me depressed. I was using 2.0 version of NFS and 1.1.2 of
TCP/IP. Is this a well known problem that got fixed in release 2.2?

-Robert Lin <rlin at cs.ubc.ca>