MIT Sparc X server and keyboard indicators

Kartik Subbarao subbarao at phoenix.Princeton.EDU
Wed Apr 24 22:38:51 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr23.191004.16381 at Citicorp.COM> dsamperi at Citicorp.COM (Dominick Samperi) writes:
>The Sun Sparc X server that is included on the MIT X Windows
>tape does not handle the keyboard indicator lights properly.
>For example, pressing the CAPS LOCK key does not cause the
>appropriate indicator light to be turned on.

Yeah, this is a true bummer. Just Another bug in X11R4, oh well.

>We have applied all 18 of the standard MIT patches, but these
>do not appear to address the problem. I guess the real problem
>is that the server code from Sun is not supported, in particular,
>it has not been modified to deal with the newer Sparc keyboards.
>
>Has anyone found a solution to this problem? Thanks in advance.

I complained about the same thing (and other things as well) and was given
the good piece of advice to use the openwindows server instead of X. Note that
you can still run all X - clients (i.e, tvtwm, xrn, xclock, ...), and they
even run faster. The fonts even look nicer (IMHO). To do this, you need to
put "xnews" in place of "Xsun" in your .xserverrc.

But I too am open to suggestions. Is there anyone that has gotten big old X
to behave on suns?

			-Kartik

still runlll
--
internet# rm `df | tail +2 | awk '{ printf "%s/quotas\n",$6}'`

subbarao at phoenix.Princeton.EDU -| Internet
kartik at silvertone.Princeton.EDU (NeXT mail)
SUBBARAO at PUCC.BITNET			          - Bitnet