X11 bashing

Mike Hoegeman mh at roger.imsd.contel.com
Fri Apr 19 07:43:35 AEST 1991

In article <1991Apr18.014319.8272 at decuac.dec.com> mjr at hussar.dco.dec.com (Marcus J. Ranum) writes:
>>Gee... This sounds a lot like NeWS does'nt it?
>	NeWS is a pretty cool idea, but I just can't appreciate adding
>PostScript to a network-based window system. Before everyone jumps on
>me, let me explain:
>	do an "lpq" on a machine with a few PostScript printers.
>	PostScript can produce spiffy images, for sure, but it's just
>too easy to produce 100K worth of glop to print a page. The idea of
>*THAT* as the imaging model behind my window systems makes me afraid,
>very afraid. *USUALLY* I realize that having PostScript in the window
===
 >system is a savings, but you have to make sure that your applications
 >are not stupid about doing the PostScript equivalent of bells and
 >whistles.
===
    This is kind of a weak argument isn't it? You can make the same
    assertion about any language. Frugality is a virtue I agree, but
    using PostScript as an imaging model does not instantly turn you
    into a glutton. It's really a pretty reasonable language as
    interpreters go.  I do agree with you though that there is some
    pretty lame postscript code which is output by some applications.