Shared libraries

Michael Stefanik mike at bria.UUCP
Sun Apr 28 07:38:49 AEST 1991

In an article, mohta at necom830.cc.titech.ac.jp (Masataka Ohta) writes:
>If you want shared libraries, use Multics. Don't change UNIX to Multics.

Now, I pride myself on being a stuffy UNIX purist, but I disagree that
sharable libraries should be thrown out the door for the sake of a spartan
kernel.

The reality of today is that disk and core *is* less expensive, so it is
not so burdensome to include junk, errr, features that *do* have legitimate
value.  The advantages of sharable libraries are many, and, although they
may not be "needed", they certainly are nice to have.

--
Michael Stefanik, MGI Inc, Los Angeles | Opinions stated are never realistic
Title of the week: Systems Engineer    | UUCP: ...!uunet!bria!mike