Displaying all processes info.

Michael Meissner meissner at osf.org
Thu Apr 11 08:00:17 AEST 1991

In article <176 at bria.UUCP> mike at bria.UUCP (Michael Stefanik) writes:

| In an article, en.ecn.purdue.edu!longshot (Longshot (tm)) writes:
| >I have done a little playing with this and had a few questions
| >myself...  (1) Is there a good reference to help in programming with
| >references to special files like kmem?  (2) How would one find the
| >list of all processes for a user by tty?
|
| The manual pages are woefully uninformative in respect to sloshing through
| /dev/kmem (and probably with good reason :-)

Yeah, stuff in there changes from OS revision to OS revision.

| Finding all of the processes for a user by tty would acutally not be that
| difficult; you would simply use nlist() to find the _proc symbol in the
| kernel, seek to the ``address'' given in /dev/kmem, and start reading, looking
| for the correct line.

Some systems have a system call to do this for you.  For example,
OSF/1 supports table which gives you the proc table for the next n
processes.  On System V.4, you should be able to just opendir /proc,
and zip through the processes that way.
--
Michael Meissner	email: meissner at osf.org		phone: 617-621-8861

Considering the flames and intolerance, shouldn't USENET be spelled ABUSENET?