Files > 4MB

Richard M. Mathews richard at locus.com
Mon Nov 12 15:42:54 AEST 1990

cedman at golem.ps.uci.edu (Carl Edman) writes:

>Now this would be really funny. All versions of AIX I had the lack of
>pleasure of having to use so far had quite the opposite problem:

>        No files larger that 4 MBytes

(The referenced message had "Followup-To: comp.unix.aix", but it would be
unfair for this incorrect claim to go uncorrected in comp.unix.large)

AIX (at least the versions with with I am familiar) has a default ulimit of
4 MB.  This can be changed on a per system, per user, or per process basis
(but, of course, only a root process can increase its limit).  Ulimit goes
way, way back in the history of Unix and is not specific to AIX.

Richard M. Mathews			Freedom for Lithuania
Locus Computing Corporation		       Laisve!
richard at locus.com
lcc!richard at seas.ucla.edu
...!{uunet|ucla-se|turnkey}!lcc!richard