Files > 4MB

Gary Faulkner garyf at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Tue Nov 13 04:31:30 AEST 1990

In article <1990Nov11.225759.866 at ceres.physics.uiowa.edu>
vvawh at convx1.lerc.nasa.gov (Tony Hackenberg) writes:
>     I think Amdahl's UTS2.1 will also have this ability.

Isn't it true that now that systems such as UTS, Unicos, etc. have the
ability to have LOCAL files >4MB, NFS files are a problem.  For instance,
it is feasible (I believe) to have a file which is, let's say, 15GB
(easily on a 12 wide stripe of 1.5 GB disks).  Anyway, isn't it true that
NFS will not support reading past a certain byte of said file??

Gary Faulkner
Nat'l Center for Supercomputing Applications
University of Illinois - Urbana/Champaign

All these thoughts are my own, not my employer's...