Files > 4MB

Ian Kluft ikluft at uts.amdahl.com
Tue Nov 20 12:42:07 AEST 1990

In article <108780 at convex.convex.com> patrick at convex.COM (Patrick F. McGehearty) writes:
>Increasing the NFS file size limits requires either Sun to
>extend its architecture or for several "large system" vendors to get
>together and agree on a "large-file" extension.  I would prefer Sun
>to bless any architecture extension to reduce the likelihood of
>varying (and buggy) implementations.  However, large system vendors do not
>have a lot of influence with Sun (small unit volumes, lower fees) as
>compared to low-unit-cost-high-volume customers.  [...]

The forum you're looking for is called Unix International (UI).  It includes
members such as AT&T, Sun, Amdahl, and everyone else that is developing SVR4.
(Sorry for the short list... it should be obvious why I only remember those
three.)  I don't know if UI is currently discussing that issue.  But if it
is going to be considered, that's where I expect it would have the best chance.
--
Ian Kluft             -----------------------------  # Another flying fanatic
UTS Systems Software           \ |--*--| /           # PP-ASEL