Files > 4GB

Jeff Beadles jeff at onion.pdx.com
Sat Nov 10 04:03:37 AEST 1990

In <1008 at intelisc.isc.intel.com> cfj at isc.intel.com (Charlie Johnson) writes:

>I'm curious if the companies who support Unix on large systems made the
>necessary file system changes to allow individual files which are larger
>than 4 gigabytes ??  You'd have to at least stretch the file size in the
>inode beyond 32 bits and possibly mess around in the super block.  Any
>comments ??

Well, that would take one big disk :-)  Unix files can not span physical disk
partitions, at least on more common version of Unix. (Has anyone changed this?)
This pretty well limits the file size more than the kernel internals.

Then again, the largest file that I've seen in "real-life" is a 247mb kernel
core dump :-)

	-Jeff
Jeff Beadles		jeff at onion.pdx.com