Killer Micro Question

A. Lester Buck buck at siswat.UUCP
Fri Nov 16 15:11:45 AEST 1990

In article <16364 at s.ms.uky.edu>, randy at ms.uky.edu (Randy Appleton) writes:
> I have been wondering how hard it would be to set up several
> of the new fast workstations as one big Mainframe.
>
> The idea is that as each person logs into the Login Server, their login
> shell is acually a process that looks for the least loaded Server, and
> rlogin's them to there.

At least one instantiation of exactly this scheme is in the works.  The
Superconducting Supercollider experiment design laboratory put out a Request
For Proposal (one of many to come) six months ago that called for such a
pool of interactive server machines with a login server to route the initial
connection.  I haven't followed if the contract has been awarded yet.

The SSC would be a great place for a truly distributed OS like
Amoeba, but their RFP for a batch farm specifically called for
tightly coupled shared memory multiprocessors.  Maybe they will
wake up someday and check out the newer technology.

--
A. Lester Buck    buck at siswat.lonestar.org  ...!uhnix1!lobster!siswat!buck