security for large sites

Greg Price rxxgap at minyos.xx.rmit.oz
Wed Oct 3 21:31:29 AEST 1990

> On the other hand, some "secure" implementations are such administrative
> headaches and require so much in the way of additional resources that
> people do what they can to keep it out of their way - i.e. they compromise
> it. Any comments from System V/MLS users?
>
> >	For any installation, at any time, there should only be one
> >	person who knows the root password.  Installation size is
> >	irrelevant.  In case of DDD (disaster, disease or death) the
> >	password can be retrieved from a sealed envelope, stored in a
> >	secure but visible location.

I would have to agree....The problem I get when chasing a problem is first
establishing whether the problem comes from other SU's, the system, and maybe
an uninvited guest.

As for System V/MLS and System V/Enhanced security, it would be nice if
educational facilities could get AT&T source like SVR4. Anyone from AT&T
(apart from my rep) listening out there? ;-)

Greg

Greg Price,                                                 Computer Centre,
Systems Programmer.                 Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology,
                                            P.O. Box 2476V, Melbourne. 3001.
ACSnet:	rxxgap at minyos.xx.rmit.oz               (124 Latrobe St., Melbourne.)
CSNET:	rxxgap at minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au                               Australia.
ARPA:	rxxgap at minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au@uunet.uu.net
BITNET:	rxxgap at minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au@CSNET-RELAY         PHONE +61 3 660 2934
UUCP:	...!uunet!munnari!minyos.xx.rmit.oz.au!rxxgap     FAX +61 3 663 5652