VOTE: voting continues on comp.unix.wizards

Ed McGuire emcguire at ccad.uiowa.edu
Fri Oct 19 03:49:21 AEST 1990

In article <18603 at rpp386.cactus.org> jfh at rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) writes:
> 3). Why didn't this get posted in news.groups?  Isn't that a
>     requirement?
>     The guidelines only suggest that news.groups be included,
>     as well as other "relevant" newsgroups.  Since news.groups
>     is not related to the subject of UNIX programming, and
>     since it is typically such a high-noise newsgroup, I felt
>     news.groups was an inappropriate newsgroup.

You are a liar.  The guidelines make no mention of posting a call for
votes to news.groups.  The only group mentioned specifically is the
moderated group news.announce.newgroups.  It is a low noise, low volume
group.

The basic information for all USENET users, regularly posted to
news.announce.newusers, includes "Introduction to news.announce".  That
article tells every USENET reader that news.announce.newgroups exists
solely to announce creation or consideration of new newsgroups, and
that all calls for votes and discussions, all vote results, and all
creation notices should be posted there.  Sysops do not have time to
read every special interest group.  The news.announce groups are there
for a reason.

Public announcement of a vote where sysops can see it is a basic
responsibility which you have abrogated.  Your attempt to spread
misinformation in order to justify your error is contemptible.  I
refuse to dignify your campaign with a vote.

Ed