Deskside (RISC) Supercomputers?

Paul Nash paul at proxima.UUCP
Mon Oct 15 23:53:59 AEST 1990

A client is planning on buying a 100 - 150 MFLOP mini-supercomputer,
and wants to know whether this would be premature.  If there are
likely to be any workstation-like machines of this performance
available in the next two years or less, they will hold the purchase
until then.

If anyone knows of machines with this sort of performance in the
pipeline (-:), could they please let me know.  The type of software
that they would run is not very succeptible to vectorizatoin or
parallelization, so fancy Hypercubes are out.

Because a fairly important purchase rests on this, we would like
an idea of power, price and shipping date for any new high-power
machines.  Of course, this might all be so top-secret that no-one
is allowed to know, but then they'll just have to buy the monster.