Seeking Experiences with 100GB DB Servers

E. Scott Menter escott at shearson.com
Fri Mar 29 08:22:44 AEST 1991

We need to support a bunch of databases that, combined, represent about 100 GB
of information.  Some percentage of this data will be "interactive" (that is,
will require high speed query and update) while a larger percentage will be
"historical" (in this case, still requiring high speed query but able to
tolerate slower updates).

By the time this is rolled out, our shop will have about 1,000 Sun
workstations running applications that will be doing their best to pound
whatever system we put into place right into the ground 8^).

I'm looking for anybody with real-life experience with Unix systems supporting
this kind of configuration.  Besides performance issues, I'm *very* interested
in stories about service, backup/recovery, archiving, and interoperability.

No sales calls, please.

I promise to summarize responses back to this list.  Replies to me only,
please (especially as I don't regularly read this group).

Thanks in advance.

--
E. Scott Menter, Vice President
Manager, Information Resource Management Group
escott at shearson.com