Interesting Questions

Bill Stewart 908-949-0705 erebus.att.com!wcs wcs at cbnewsh.att.com
Sun Mar 17 14:57:14 AEST 1991

In article <6Q.9Z1A at xds13.ferranti.com> peter at ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
]In article <1991Mar12.005158.20343 at erg.sri.com> zwicky at erg.sri.com (Elizabeth Zwicky) writes:
]> *i) What would a vendor install script that you didn't hate look like?
]
]What the System V.3.2 install scripts look like. In fact the V.3.2 system
]administration/kernel configuration stuff is pretty damn good. Good enough

My main frustration with the System V Release N install scripts is
that they're all very picky about what order you install them in,
and that they're not documented in a way that lets me repackage them
(e.g. 3.5" -> 5.25" -> tape -> Ethernet).  The common USENET archiving,
which I think is named makekits and probably comes from Larry Wall,
is very nice about saying "This is part 03 of 15.  Please install 13 and 14."
You can take the kits, whether on floppy or email, and load them in
any order,  and if you have some kind of problem you don't have to
start over from scratch.

On the other hand, there was DEC's upgrade to SVR2.0 which had a bunch of
	cp /usr/src/uts/vax/cf/foo.c /usr/src/uts/vax/cf/foo.c.orig
	cp /new/foo.c /usr/src/uts/vax/cf/foo.c
Better hope you've read the install script before using it, or else
hope it works perfectly the first time.....  which it didn't.
--
				Pray for peace;
					Bill