How to make a floppy file system?

Al Kiecker alan at k0jfv.UUCP
Tue Apr 5 15:34:29 AEST 1988

Does anybody know how to build a mountable file system on the 1.2MB floppy
drive of a PC/AT clone?? The commands are all there, but not a step-by-step
procedure of something which is not at all trivial to accomplish. This
should be well documented as part of the system administration procedures.
The general procedure is:

	1. format the floppy:  format /dev/rdsk/fd
	2. make the file system: mkfs /dev/rdsk/fd 2400
	   (Is 2400 the correct number of blocks?)
	3. label the floppy
	   (/etc/labelit exists, but is not documented)
	4. run fsck
	5. mount the file system: mount /dev/dsk/fd /mnt
	  (or is it mount /dev/rdsk/fd /mnt ?)
	6. create lost+found directory
	  (how???)

Now I may have the order of some of the above steps slightly mixed up and the
details somewhat foggy, but when I do it on the system for which I get
paid for doing it, I have a System Administrators Guide that lays it
out step by step for me. Would anyone care to fill in the details of the
step by step procedure.

When is /dev/rdsk/?? vs. /dev/dsk/?? used?

Thanks!!
--
Al Kiecker
WORK: 	ihnp4!sx1100!alan			(612)635-2574