Intelligent serial cards for Sys V/AT

John Gayman john at wa3wbu.UUCP
Sun Feb 14 23:38:55 AEST 1988

      I am in need of an intelligent serial card for my AT running
2.3U Microport. I am currently using an 8-port Digiboard (dumb) but it
just can't quite hack running the Telebit Trailblazer at 9600 and doing
other things with the serial ports. However, it seems to run the Telebit
by itself ok. I pretty much prefer either the Digiboard or Bell
Technologies intelligent cards. Can anyone give me any details on which
of these works better with Microport ?

      To further cause me some concern, I understand that Bell supplies
a driver for Microport 2.3 in the form of an "installit". This installit
builds you a kernel with drivers inserted for their intelligent card,
tape drive and dumb card. This could be a problem because I already have
my kernel regenerated for use with the Everex tape drive.

      Does the Bell tech and Everex tape drives use different major/minor
device numbers and would having both hurt me ?  The other possibility is
that I can hack the installit procedure to omit the installation of
the tape and dumb-serial drivers.

     I need to know if their are known problems with either of these cards
with Microport. The Digiboard Im currently using integrated rather
smoothly. I havn't seen much feedback on either board and really dont
relish the thought of investing major bucks into a board that will cause
me greif once installed.  Any information, suggestions or tips are
appreciated.

					John

--
John Gayman, WA3WBU              |           UUCP: uunet!wa3wbu!john
1869 Valley Rd.                  |           ARPA: wa3wbu!john at uunet.UU.NET