Microport '386 Unix

James Van Artsdalen james at bigtex.uu.net
Mon Feb 22 09:22:09 AEST 1988

In article <4280 at b-tech.UUCP>, zeeff at b-tech.UUCP (Jon Zeeff) writes:

> The OMTI-8620 sounds like the way to go if it would only work.

A quick clarification: the OMTI 8620 definitely does not work with uPort's
SysV/386, and almost certainly not with the 286 SV/AT.  I was told by
uPort something is being done about this, but don't know what their
timetable is.  I suspect problems with both uPort's driver and OMTI's
card: uPort's driver appears to derive the hard disk characteristics
incorrectly (it uses the CMOS drive type instead of the BIOS disk parameter
table) and I'm not sure that the OMTI is entirely register-level compatible
with the WD1003 and other standard AT controllers, due to its behavior under
DOS.
--
James R. Van Artsdalen    ...!uunet!utastro!bigtex!james     "Live Free or Die"
Home: 512-346-2444 Work: 328-0282; 110 Wild Basin Rd. Ste #230, Austin TX 78746