Wiping out /bin in OS upgrades

Geoff Kuenning geoff at desint.UUCP
Wed Feb 17 07:24:19 AEST 1988

In article <2662 at orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> hakanson at mist.UUCP (Marion
Hakanson) writes:

> I agree, it probably will be standard.  But anything in /bin is
> guaranteed to be lost in the next OS upgrade.  We try to not even
> add stuff to /usr/lib around here.  Lately, we even stay out of /etc
> as much as possible.

The proper solution to this is to blast your OS supplier for being so
arrogant and stupid as to distribute so-called upgrades that destroy
important data.  It is not really very hard to do it right;  at Callan
it cost us about two person-months.

(In the "arrogant and stupid" department, BTW, the last update I got
from Microport even wiped out /etc/passwd!  Now that takes the cake.)
--
	Geoff Kuenning   geoff at ITcorp.com   {uunet,trwrb}!desint!geoff