Wren III-182 question

James Van Artsdalen james at bigtex.UUCP
Sun Feb 28 06:40:30 AEST 1988

In article <3371 at cbmvax.UUCP>, grr at cbmvax.UUCP (George Robbins) writes:
> You might check the OMTI documentation to make sure that the controller
> supports more than 8 heads, or whether any jumper arrangement is needed
> to make the controller notion of the 4'th head select line agree with
> the drive's.

I forgot to mention it in my original article, but the Wren III-182 I have is
an ESDI drive, and therefore knows how many heads/cylinders/sectors-per-track
it supports.  The OMTI makes use of this to set up the drive tables: one sets
the drive type to zero (no drive), and during BIOS peripheral initialization,
the OMTI builds the BIOS drive parameter table from the numbers the drive
returns.  Neatly avoids the BIOS drive type problem altogether.  So I know
that in fact the *drive* thinks it only has eight heads.  In addition, I have
spoken with someone who has used the OMTI with a normal CDC Wren III-182
without trouble (in DOS).
--
James R. Van Artsdalen    ...!uunet!utastro!bigtex!james     "Live Free or Die"
Home: 512-346-2444 Work: 328-0282; 110 Wild Basin Rd. Ste #230, Austin TX 78746