lots of panics in uPort V/386?

Derek E. Terveer det at hawkmoon.UUCP
Thu Feb 18 15:26:09 AEST 1988

Well, well, well -- comp.unix.microport is now unmoderated and root@<somewhere>
said to "post your heads off", so i thought that i would interject a question
to the assembled heads...

I have recently purchased an ACER 1100 80386, 71M drive (miniscribe), 2.6M of
memory (intel ps/286 above board) and am running 3.0-L2.2.  The problem is that
i seem to be having lots of (relatively) unexplainable panics and i was
wondering if anyone else with the 386 version was also having numbers of these
panics, like "kernel mode traps" (type e), "user mode traps" (type 2 and 8),
and "iupdat - iaddress >2^24" panics.  Plus i keep getting a number of "NMI in
system mode" messages.

Has anyone seen these before -- i seem to be getting about one every day or
every other day, and some of them are bad enough that i have to reload portions
of the distribution.  For example, the other day i had vi poof into dust (most
annoying) and also the active file for News (even more annoying!).  I'm not
sure if *I'm* doing something wrong or what????  I don't think i'm doing any-
thing really bogus..  Most of these panics seem to happen while i'm compiling
stuff, but i'm not sure if i was also receiving large news files from my news
feed.  I've heard stories about serial ports in the 286 version, and i had
hoped that the rewrite (?? is this true?) of uPort for the 386 version had
cured these reported problems.

any help would be a help!
derek