Bell Tech W.G.E. use with "sissy" unix

Scott Turner scotty at l5comp.UUCP
Sun Oct 9 19:37:54 AEST 1988

In article <554 at micropen> dave at micropen (David F. Carlson) writes:
>In article <428 at eecea.eece.ksu.edu>, terry at eecea.eece.ksu (Terry Hull) writes:
>> In article <438 at l5comp.UUCP> scotty at l5comp.UUCP (Scott Turner) writes:
>> >easily. But if your system has a SRAM cache you may be in for a VERY
                                                    ^^^ Please note!
>> >nasty surprise!
>
>I have used machines with several caching schemes (Intel chips and Everex
>proprietary) and they always cache only memory they known about:  main mother
>board memory.  If a device has a memory map in the AT bus structure *it* must

Well I'm glad at least a few companies are on the ball. It did cross my mind
that it would have been smarter for Mylex to only cache ram that the BIOS
POST found during startup, but alas the cacheable memory size in the Mylex
design is cast into a PAL.

If Mylex designed their cache in this fashion so can others. And then again
others can get it right. Hence the phrase "may be in" in my warning. Rather
than something more concrete like "We're all screwed, run for the hills!" ;)

I will also note that Bell gave me no such warning about caches. I am trying
to save others from a nasty surprise.

>No caching is done of these areas or no polling IO would ever succeed.
>(I'm pretty sure it does.  :-) DOS is no different from UNIX in this regard.)

Are you confirming that the Everex boards, and those based on the Intel cache
controller, do work with the WGE right out of the box? (Your posting was a
little hard for me to understand.)

Scott Turner
scotty at l5comp -or- uunet!l5comp!scotty