Bell Tech W.G.E. use with "sissy" unix

Dimitri Rotow dar at belltec.UUCP
Fri Oct 14 11:54:08 AEST 1988

> A couple of questions about the WGE/Blit card:
> Do you know if the cache on the Everex Step models or the ALR FlexCache
> models can be disabled above 14 Meg to work with the WGE?  Users with an
> eye on performance will want to know this.

	I don't know, but Everex or ALR should be able to answer the question.

> How much real memory is needed (when using the current X10R4 code) to
> keep the system from paging like mad.  I.e., the system should be able
> to run a couple of csh's or vi's without paging during program
> execution.

	I run my machine with 4 MB and no problems.   The machine has
	a Blit on it for me and four terminals for other users on one of
	our ACE cards plus an HP Laserjet.  We routinely run 2 or 3 users
	running Elan eroff, Tigera Word:Era, X and lots of other stuff
	simultaneously with no problems.  Of course, things slow down
	when the 'roff engine cranks.

	You really need more than 2 MB for most uses, and that means
	with most machines that you get to go to 4 MB as the next step.

- Dimitri Rotow