Corrupted backup floppies from cpio

Rick Farris rfarris at serene.CTS.COM
Mon Oct 17 11:55:11 AEST 1988

In article <6794 at chinet.chi.il.us> (John Kennedy) writes:
>Here's a question concerning Microport Unix (SYS V/AT), and maybe it's a
>Unix question in general.

>A couple of weeks ago, I backed up everything on my disk for the purpose
>of repartitioning between DOS and Unix.

>When I went to restore the files, with a cpio -icdumv < /dev/rdsk/0s24,
>the first few disks read okay, but then the "out of phase. get help"
>message appeared.

I've had the same problem, and have been advised that it may be related to
swapping diskettes before the red light on the diskette drive goes out.

In DOS, a single tasking OS, wherein when it says to swap disks,
it's ready to swap.  Under Unix, a multi-tasking, write-behind system, it's
entirely possible that the system is still writing to the floppy while it's
telling you to swap disks.

Wait for the red light to go out.

Rick Farris            rfarris at serene.cts.com     voice         (619) 259-6793
POB M                          KCBIW              public access       259-7757
Del Mar CA 92014      ...!uunet!serene!rfarris    serene.uucp         259-3704