problems installing Archive tape driver

Phil Hughes fyl at ssc.UUCP
Thu Oct 20 01:52:10 AEST 1988

In article <331 at siswat.UUCP>, buck at siswat.UUCP (A. Lester Buck) writes:

[ story of configuring the archive tape driver in V/AT 2.4]

> /dev/rmt0 already exists (no mknod required),
> so I try  "cat /etc/passwd >/dev/rmt0", but the system
> hangs (console still accepts input, but cannot intr out).

I did what you did with the Everex driver.  Then I looked around
and found a whole bunch of nodes other than /dev/rmt0.  In particular,
/dev/mt/1m and a few others.  These seem to talk to the tape drive
ok.  I wish I had some documentation that said what they were but ... .

Also, when you get it working, don't forget to pipe stuff thru strm,
which has a man page on the system.  Good luck and if anyone knows
what all the nodes in /dev/mt are, please let me know.

--
Phil Hughes, SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549, Seattle, WA 98155  (206)FOR-UNIX
    uw-beaver!tikal!ssc!fyl or uunet!pilchuck!ssc!fyl or attmail!ssc!fyl