286: Why no core dump?

Jim Rosenberg jr at oglvee.UUCP
Wed Oct 12 04:50:12 AEST 1988

In article <456 at gould.doc.ic.ac.uk> brwk at doc.ic.ac.uk (Bevis King) writes:
>I am attempting to get the public domain basic interpreter posted
>to comp.sources.unix working on Microport SV/AT.  The problem I have
>is that the program terminates with an "Illegal allignment" message.

>When the "Illegal allignment" message is issued, the program terminates
>(ok, fair enough), no core dump is generated (worrying) and the login
>shell terminates (very worrying indeed).

Question:  Are you by some chance turning on the setuid bit after compiling
but before running the program?  It's standard behavior that if the setuid
bit is on, there will be *no* core dump for signals that would normally
generate one.
--
Jim Rosenberg                        pitt
Oglevee Computer Systems                 >--!amanue!oglvee!jr