Sys V/AT 2.4

John Gayman john at wa3wbu.UUCP
Fri Oct 14 06:35:43 AEST 1988

In article <450 at sactoh0.UUCP>, sjrudek at sactoh0.UUCP (Steve J. Rudek) writes:
> In article <645 at wa3wbu.UUCP>, john at wa3wbu.UUCP (John Gayman) writes:
> >
> > update and can comment on it ?  Im running 2.3U with the HoneyDanber
> > uucp and Everex tape drive and it works *VERY* solid.  I would hope

> I find your statement that you have found 2.3U "*VERY* solid" very
> intriguing; I've found it to be abysmally buggy!  Didn't you

      I must maintain that my 2.3U has been very solid. My configuration
  consists on a CompuAdd Standard-286 (8 Mhz) with a 8-port Digiboard (dumb),
  3MB of memory, 71MB Miniscribe, 40MB CDC and Everex tape backup. I also
  have two modems, a Telebit trailblaser on one port and a Hayes SM240 on
  another port. Along with this a have two "radio" modems running at 1200
  baud and a 4800 baud "slip" link to another machine. (I shouldn't say
  this) but I havn't had any panics in over 9 months. (I'll regret saying
  that) :-)

      The system runs 24 hours/day and feeds News to three other sites.
I run two tape backups per week and have never had any problems. Also, I
can call out on my Hayes at 2400 and dial into the TB+ and actually run
2400 baud from my own system with no troubles. I have even transferred
files to myself as a test. Like I said, it's been very solid for me. I
must admit that I can't do much else "serially" when the TB+ is taking a
News feed at 9600 baud. I can run the console but another modem causes
delays.

> have obvious problems with vi and terminfo?  Doesn't your system
> do a "double panic" and die if ANYONE on your system compiles and runs
> the following program?
>
> /*------------------------*/
> #include <stdio.h>
> int x;
> main ()
> {
> 	x = 42;
> 	printf("%f", x);
> }
> /*------------------------*/

     I tried this program and it didnt do anything bad.  It compiled okay
and when run, it just gives me the cursor back. Did I do something wrong ?
I'm not much of a C-guru so I may not be much help here.

> I use V/AT to run a public access bbs with two call-in modems.
> During the year and a half I've owned V/AT I've had regular (daily)
> , "double panics" which kill the system and sometimes destroy large
> sections of the file system.  Because the problem is so fatal and
    [some text deleted]
> conclusions.  When call-in users disconnect from my system (possibly
> this only occurs when they simply hangup without an orderly logout)
> my modem will often get hung.  Once the modem hangs the game is over;

      I did have a similar problem way back when in that if a dialin
  user at 300 baud just hung-up without logging off the modem would
  hang. If I tried to clear the modem, the system would panic with the
  dreaded rmsd [sic] panic. I recieved a new asy.o from Microport that
  corrected this problem.

> This is a serious question and I seriously would like a response:
> Does ANYONE out there have a way to stop the serial port panics?
> If I could just stop the continual serial port problems I could
> live with the other problems.  Would buying a "smart" serial port
> card solve the difficulty?

     I wish I could offer some suggestions here. I have been very confused
by numerous postings where guys can't even get 1200 baud to work properly
and I can run concurrent 2400 baud and as many 1200 baud as I can bring
up. I can also be running my TCP/IP slip link at 4800 baud and still
be feeding News at 2400. I guess it's just dumb luck. :-) I sure havn't
done any tweaking to the system. I am also exploring the possibility of
an intelligent card. This should eliminate the problem of running the TB+
at 9600 baud while other ports are active.  I'm hoping that 2.4 is at least
as good as 2.3 is for me. The only thing I'm still unsure of is the Tape
drive support. Mine worked right off but I understand others had trouble
with controllers from Everex that possibly has revised ROMS.

					John

--
John Gayman, WA3WBU              |           UUCP: uunet!wa3wbu!john
1869 Valley Rd.                  |           ARPA: john at wa3wbu.uu.net
Marysville, PA 17053             |           Packet: WA3WBU @ AK3P