System V/AT v2.4 Impressions and Bug Report

John M. Sully jmsully at uport.UUCP
Sat Oct 29 03:46:13 AEST 1988

In article <319 at sdti.UUCP> mjy at sdti.UUCP (Michael J. Young) writes:
>The new kernel has support for ESDI and RLL drives, although you have
>to use the linkkit to get it.  Since I'm still stuck with ST506 controllers,
>I haven't been able to try it out.  But I'm sure glad to see it there!

You don't need to use the linkkit to enable ESDI and RLL support, although
you do need to use it to enable support for an Everex tape drive.

>There are supposed to be some fixes to the 287 support, but I haven't tried
>it out yet.  There don't seem to be any substantial improvements to the
>compiler, even though they issued a new SDS.  I sure wish they'd find
>someone who can fix that stupid compiler.

Guess what?  We found someone to fix the stupid compiler.  Beta's should
be available soon, contact Thuan-tit Ewe in the support department for
further details.

>2.  With the new kernel, when getty on a modem line exits (like when
>    going from multi-user to single-user mode or complete shutdown),
>    DTR goes away, but then comes back!  It remains on forever!  It
>    doesn't seem to cause any problems, but it was a little disconcerting.

Hmm.... I'll take a look at this, it seems that the flag should have been
cleared at this point though.

>4.  Sometimes the keyboard locks up (scroll lock light on) and there
>    doesn't seem to be a way to free it up short of reset.  Even Ctrl-Alt-Del
>    stops working.  It's happened to me three times in four days, usually when
>    I've accidentally hit more than one key at a time while using CTRL-S
>    and CTRL-Q.  This never happened under 2.3, even though I wasn't
>    any better a typist back then!

This bug has been reported a couple of times, but we have been unable to
reproduce it.  I'll try hitting more than one key at a time.  BTW, we have
been told that if you wait about 3 minutes that things will be returned to
normal.

>6.  Control key processing has changed.  CTRL-SHIFT-2 (CTRL-'@') no longer
>    emits a NUL (0x0), but a '@'.  In fact, under 2.3 CTRL-2 emitted a
>    NUL.  Now it emits a '2'.  There no longer seems to be a way of getting
>    the keyboard to emit a NUL.

Oops!

Thanks for the bug reports, they will be forwarded to the engineering
department.