flames are on!

Sanford 'Sandy' Zelkovitz sandy at turnkey.TCC.COM
Mon Oct 3 09:45:26 AEST 1988

In article <440 at l5comp.UUCP>, scotty at l5comp.UUCP (Scott Turner) writes:
> [Those interested in downloading TeX from Sandy's BBS may wish to skip
> my counterflames and read the section of this article which describes
> how long and how much it will cost to download TeX from Sandy's BBS]
>
> In article <1930 at turnkey.TCC.COM> sandy at turnkey.TCC.COM (Sanford 'Sandy' Zelkovitz) writes:

[ rest left out]

> Scott Turner
> scotty at l5comp -or- uunet!l5comp!scotty

If users of my BBS would read the bulletins that are available and NOT go
immediately to the file section, they would know why and how to get the larger
files with only ONE call! As explained in one of the bulletins, there is
no limit ( either time or byte count ) when files are requested using uucp.
Also, I go to lengths describing how to determine the exact path name(s) of
the files.

You have gone in length describing the cost calling the system. You did forget,
however, that my system is available through PC Pursuit. Unlike uunet, I do
not charge for usage! Also, unlike uunet, I have to restrict time (only through
the bbs) so that others can also get on the system. If I were charging for
usage time, obviously, I would NOT break up the files and force you to stay
on for many hours. You see, I am a believer of one person helping another. If
you don't believe the same, then you should find needed code elsewhere.
Scott, you went to extremes describing how much it would cost making the calls,
you neglected to describe how much you would have to pay uunet for the connect
time.

Where do you think I get the files? As you can tell, many come directly from
the net; however, many others come from other sources and they, believe me,
aren't free. Tapes have to be purchased and telephone calls have to be paid
for. I have NEVER asked for a dime in return! All I have ever asked, as you
know when you "download a file", is some usable file in return so that others
can also benefit. I will repeat, so that others can benefit, not me! You see,
I truely believe in the free software concept. That is why I have donated
many  programs to the public.

Scott, you also mentioned about your posting(s) on how you can get me code
from uunet. I have been trying to remember a single one. Honestly, if you
did, I do not remember.

I am sorry that my system "cut you off" during the uucp transfers. That one,
you can blame "Ma Bell" since I do not cut off the transmissions. I will cut
off users ( the software will ) when they log into the bbs, once their time
has been used up, but not during a file transfer.

You mentioned about using a Trailblazer so that files can be transferred at a
higher rate. Sure, I would love to have one; however, that too costs money.
Again. if I were charging you for the usage, it would be easy to justify.
Presently, all I can do is use three inexpensive US Robotics 2400 baud modems
and one old Hayes 1200. You also went into length about the speed of uucp
transfers. Well, I am running HDB uucp with a master selected protocol. Since
you select the protocol, as the master when you call in, I can't run any
faster!

I constantly get requests for files to be sent on floppy disks or on
60 meg streaming tape. If I had the time to do it, I would. Unfortunately,
to fill all of the requests would take all of my time! Normally, I do not
return messages when such a request is made. I just don't have the time
to do it.

If I sound redundant, I am sorry; however, the 500K limit, through the BBS,
is more than generous. If you call other bbs systems, you will find
much lower limits. You didn't like the extra 200K uploads as my example, I
am sorry; however, that is one of my main sources for new shareable code.
It saves me the telephone costs of trying to locate new code for others
to download. Sure, I have a GREAT selection of files for downloading. I
guess my madness must work!

If I get upset when I read such inflamatory remarks about my efforts to
help others, I am sure you can understand. Believe me, I am reaching the
end of the rope. I have been thinking about two possible alternatives:

1) Just turn the !@#$#%^% system off!
2) Start charging for usage!

Neither is acceptable to me; however, it may just be the only answer.

Sanford <sandy> Zelkovitz    XBBS   714-898-8634