"UNIX Programming on the 80286/80386"

Jeff A. Bowles bowles at lll-crg.llnl.gov
Fri Oct 28 03:25:54 AEST 1988

In article <322 at cocktrice.UUCP> mdm at cocktrice.UUCP (Mike Mitchell) writes:
>I have recently acquired a copy of the book "UNIX Programming on the
>80286/80386" by Alan Deikman, and this book raises some questions for
>me.
>
>In looking at the code, however, there are some calls to routines which
>manipulate the line discipline found in System V
>on what these routines expect for arguments and what the expected results
>are.

I am quoting from "Unix(r) System V Release 3 Block and Character
Interface (BCI)  Driver Development Guide," (AT&T Select Code 307-191),
page 7-4:

"A line discipline contains functions for opening/closing/reading
writing/ input/output control/data receive interrupts, data transmit
interrupts/modem interrupts. Each of these activities is defined by
individual members of the linesw (line switch) structure found in conf.h.
The primary functions involved in writing a line discipline are:
	canon ttin ttout ttxput."

This discussion continues for about 10-15 pages and has lots of pretty
pictures and some useful info.

This is the document AT&T offered for $4 before someone realized that
there was a price error in their database and they changed the price to
about $80(!). I ordered BEFORE the change, but they charged my AmEx
account the higher price - I'll let 'em slug it out. Be warned, though.

	Jeff Bowles