flames are on!

Lance Ellinghouse root at chief.UUCP
Tue Oct 11 04:13:06 AEST 1988

In article <441 at l5comp.UUCP>, scotty at l5comp.UUCP (Scott Turner) writes:
> >You have gone in length describing the cost calling the system. You did forget,
> >however, that my system is available through PC Pursuit. Unlike uunet, I do
> >not charge for usage! Also, unlike uunet, I have to restrict time (only through
>
> Yes, I did forget about PC Pursuit. But I can't image trying to get through
> to your bbs via PC Pursuit. It's tough enough via Ma Bell. (Probably mostly
> due to assholes like me downloading X10R4 I will admit :)

I use PC Pursuit ALL the time and I have very little trouble geting through
to Sandy's system. If you use the auto-redial features that PC Pursuit has
it is very easy to get onto his system. It might take a little while, but it
is no harder than calling direct using * Bell.

> >If I sound redundant, I am sorry; however, the 500K limit, through the BBS,
> >is more than generous. If you call other bbs systems, you will find
> >much lower limits. You didn't like the extra 200K uploads as my example, I
>
> Actually I have found that most systems that make splashy postings on the net
> proclaiming themselves as a source for something don't have daily Kb download
> limits. They may have time limits so everyone can get a shot, or have their
> uucp hangup after each file transfered (again to give everyone a shot), but
> I haven't run into another one with Kb limits.

Most of the boards around here have both a time limit and some sort of download
restriction. Either time or % of upload vs. download. Having a flat download
rate is nice as you don't have to worry about what your % is or other things
of that sort. Also I have seen a lot of boards that DON'T allow downloading
until you have uploaded a certain amount or until you have paid for it.

> Scott Turner
> scotty at l5comp -or- uunet!l5comp!scotty

Lance Ellinghouse
Chief Numismatics, Inc.
ARPA: ucla-an!hermix!chief!lance at ee.UCLA.EDU
UUCP: {hermix|alphacm|ucla-an|srhqla}!chief!lance
BBS : CompuInvest (818) 884-7821 24 hours 1200 baud [XBBS Ver. 7.2.1]